The mental health of young people is a growing global public health issue, as more than 70% of adults living with a mental illness report that their symptoms began in childhood. In Canada, like several developed countries, more than 15% of children between four and 17 have clinically relevant mental health problems that cause significant impairment across multiple life domains. More alarming is the current estimate that only 20% of youth with mental health problems receive treatment; leaving a substantial 80% without early access to mental health care services; consequently leading to increased chronicity into adulthood. As a result, it is pressingly critical to identify those at highest risk (i.e., predictors, vulnerability factors) of later mental health problems, to inform decisions about when best to intervene (i.e., target developmental periods), as well as to better understand differential treatment efficacy and underlying mechanisms of action of intervention in establishing preventative efforts. The presentation will provide an overview of a few studies conducted by C.A.R.E. Research group, one of which reported on how unsupportive parental emotion socialization strategies and ER strategy use in adulthood predicted predisposition to future trait anxiety. These exploratory findings support (1) the need to promote mental health and overcoming adversity through building resilience in childhood to ensure future wellbeing, as well as (2) the benefits of targeting parental practices early, as preventative intergenerational transmission mechanisms.
Bring your lunch. Cookies & coffee will be served.
For more information on CRCF's research seminars, please click here.